The EERI Student Leadership Council (SLC) is coordinating and implementing the 11th Annual Undergraduate Seismic Design Competition (SDC) at the 10NCEE.
The objectives of the competition are to:
- Promote the study of earthquake engineering among undergraduate students.
- Provide civil engineering undergraduate students with an opportunity to work on a hands-on project designing and constructing a cost-effective frame building to resist seismic loading.
- Promote EERI activities among civil engineering students as well as the general public, and to encourage international participation in these activities.
Over 30 teams from universities across the US and around the world will be competing in the SDC in Alaska. Each team has designed a complex tall building model made from balsa wood (weighing no more than 7 pounds) that will be tested on a shaking table. Student teams are judged on their oral design presentation, their summary poster, the model’s architectural design, their ability to fit within the design criteria and constraints, their analytical prediction of their model performance, and the response of their model during shaking table testing.
SDC activities take place throughout the 10NCEE with events on each day. The schedule below outlines these activities. Download a printable pdf.
All other relevant documents related to the 11th Annual SDC, including the rules and scoring details, can be found at the Student Leadership Council’s 2014 SDC web page.
A special thanks is given to the Student Leadership Council (SLC) members who have made the 2014 SDC possible! The SLC team members include:
- Manny Hakhamaneshi (UC Davis)
- David Grilli (UC Davis)
- Hartanto Wibowo (Iowa State)
- Jeffrey Dowgala (Purdue)
- Anahid Behrouzi (UIUC)
- Vincente Pericoli (UC Davis)
- Brad Wham (Cornell)
- Erica Fischer (Purdue)
- Ezra Jampole (Stanford)
- Sanaz Saadat (Memphis)
- Panos Galanis (UC Berkeley)
- Charles Mendoza (UC Berkeley)
Participating SDC teams include:
California State University Long Beach
California State University, Los Angeles
Georgia Institute of Technology
Iowa State University
Oregon State University
San Diego State University
San Jose State University
State University of New York at Buffalo
Technical University of Cluj‐Napoca
The University of Memphis
University of British Columbia
University of California, Berkeley
University of California, Davis
University of California, San Diego
University of Colorado at Boulder
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
University Of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri
University of Nebraka ‐ Lincoln
University of Nevada Reno
University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
University of Southern California